The Go Ultra Low North East programme is an initiative designed to raise an awareness of Ultra Low Emission Vehicles (ULEVs) across the region. The initiative which is managed by Transport North East, is funded and supported by the European Regional Development Fund ( ERDF) programme 2014-2020.
The main deliverables of the programme will include:
- Construction of an Electric Vehicle (EV) Filling station in Sunderland. This was opened in April 2019 and continues to perform well.
- Eleven rapid charging hubs consisting of 2 rapid chargers across the region, are being installed at key strategic locations around the region offering convenient charging solutions for users.
- Work with SMEs to encourage use of the EV charging network and cut their business travel carbon footprint.
- Innovation accelerator work to encourage local SMEs to capitalise on the EV opportunities.
- Marketing and promotional activities are also underway under the branding “Go Ultra Low North East” to raise the project’s profile and to communicate the aims and objectives of the project to the region.
All elements of the project will be delivered by September 2020. A research study is currently in underway to investigate how beneficial these projects have had into the uptake of ULEVs which will feed into the region’s longer term EV strategy.