Accessibility statement for North East Combined Authority
This accessibility statement applies to content published on the www.northeastca.gov.uk domain.
This website is run by the North East Combined Authority. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is:
We acknowledge that some elements of this website are not fully accessible:
- Some video content may not be fully captioned, or provide associated transcripts
- Not all PDF and Word documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software
- We link to some online services that are not under our control and therefore we cannot guarantee their accessibility
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
- email email@example.com
- call 0782 565 8575
We’ll consider your request and get back to you in 5 working days.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
- We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0782 565 8575
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
Find out how to contact us.
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
The North East CA is committed to making this website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
WCAG 1.1.1 Non-text content
Images on some pages do not always have suitable image descriptions. Users of assistive technologies may not have access to information conveyed in images. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text content).
We use Google Maps to display locations. The image of the map provided by Google does not have alternate text. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text content). As content from Google Maps is not under the Council’s control, we are unable to fix this, however, we provide the address of the location in text format.
WCAG 1.4.13 Content on hover or focus
Some content on hover can confuse users. This functionality is supplied through third party software that is scheduled to be fixed and will be applied to the site when available.
WCAG 2.1.1 Keyboard
Some keyboard controls are unavailable for functionality provided by third party software. When this is resolved it will be applied to the site.
WCAG 2.4.2 Page titled
PDF document titles may be missing; this is something we are requesting for all newly created documents.
WCAG 4.1.2 Name, Role, Value
We use Google Maps to display locations.
The button to show the street map is using an ARIA attribute that is not allowed (aria-expanded=”false”). This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.2 (name, role, value – non-text content). As content from Google Maps is not under the Council’s control, we are unable to fix this.
WCAG 4.1.3 Status messages
There is missing screen reader mark-up for functionality elements provided by third party software; as fixes become available these will be applied to the site
Content that is not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and non-HTML documents
- Non-HTML documents published before September 2018 do not need to be accessible – unless users need them to use a service.
- The accessibility regulations do not require us to provide a text only format for pre-recorded video published before 23 September 2020.
- We do not plan to add captions to live video streams because live video is exempt from meeting the accessibility regulations.
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
We plan to test the site yearly to address any new issues.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement first was prepared on 26th October 2017, and was updated on 23rd February 2023.
This website was last tested by the North East Combined Authority on 23rd February 2023.
We tested our main website platform, available at www.northeastca.gov.uk, including:
- Content pages and forms
- Search page
- News pages
- Events pages